Monday, July 25, 2005

Help Save UA!

Nick posted this as a comment earlier today, but I thought that it was important enough to make a featured post.

"From talking to the remaining faculty from last year (over 13 faculty members left UA including me) things are a bit crazy there. I don't know if anyone read about principal Flamini leaving last week in the State Journal Register, but all the faculty agreed he was a dream come true for UA and everyone was sad to see him go.

Anyway, to make a long story short, things are not going well at UA. Only 175 students are registered for this coming school year - the lowest ever. Some of those 175 have not paid for anything.

Sarah Jones graduated in 1997-98. She works in the office at UA and when the sisters were there, she tried getting the old building on the national historical registers list so that no one can tear it down in the future. For some odd reason, the sisters refused.

Since the sisters are not there anymore, to get the old building on the national historical register, you have to talk to the current owners, the heads of SCI.

Sarah has everything ready and the next time I talk to her, I am going to try and propose that we give all the needed documentation to the heads of SCI and push that they sign everything so that the old building would be on the national register's list.

Could you imagine Ursula Hall being torn down? The chapel? I think that we can all agree that it would be horrible if such a thing occurred. I was wondering, if we face refusal from the heads of SCI, if anyone from our class would sign a petition in support of putting the old building on the national historical register's list. What does everybody think?"


Thanks for the info, Nick! I think that there are a lot of alumni who would also be devastated to see UA destroyed and would do anything that they could to save it. The petition isn't a bad idea. Please keep us posted.

(If you are going to post a comment to this topic, please use the "comment" button that goes with this post. Thanks!)

3 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Blogger Beatls8 said...

I heard that UA is making promises to incoming freshman that they WILL graduate from Ursuline. I've also heard that they don't want to shut Ursuline down, they just want to destroy the old building and build a newer one. I would accept that more than saying good-bye to UA completely. Anyone have any other news or is able to dispel any rumors floating around?

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, everyone good news - Dan Manfredo has been named principal at UA. I know Dan very well and he is one of the best guys I know. He's got a big heart, cares a lot about UA, and is willing to stay at UA a long time and help bring stability. Jodi and I also know John Stimler who has been hired as Dean, also a extraordinary guy.

Jodi where did you here that they want to destroy the old building? If that is true, that is horrible and just adds fuel to the idea to save it. Court I too would lie down in front of a bulldozer. My sister Angie is President of the Alumni Board and I am going to become a member - anyone else interested?

Anyway, at the first meeting (Sept. 6?) I am going to propose getting UA (old building, chapel, Ursula Hall) on the national historical registers list.

This coming Mon. or Tues Sarah and I are going to sit down and get everything organized. It seems like Sarah has got everything almost finished since she did her thesis on Ursula Hall, anyway - I'll keep everyone informed. Take Care Everyone.
P.S. Great pictures of Amanda'a wedding and Melissa's baby!

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Beatls8 said...

In saying "destroyed", I was referring to the old building being torn down.

Please post any information about the alumni association that you have. I'm sure some in our class would definitely be interested. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home